How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14165
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I am a part-time fosterer of special needs adults. I understand

Customer Question

I am a part-time fosterer of special needs adults. I understand that I am exempt from Income Tax liability. During 2015 I earned less than £1,000 doing this work. I have been advised to ask for a "Short Employment Page" with my next (and incidentally my first) tax return. However, I do not know how to file my first tax return and feel that it would be uneconomic to employ an accountant for so little an amount. Please can you advise me how to start as I am becoming increasing worried about this as I know that the tax return deadline is fast approaching.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
Hi Thanks for your question You are not necessarily exempt from tax if a foster carer but the tax free limits are that the household can bring in £10,000 per year tax free from foster care payments and also a weekly amount as follows£250 a week for adult special needs (or part there of is less than a weeks placement)So you will need to establish what payments you had and for how many full and part weeks and how many placements at a time So if you earned less than £1000 IN Total then you will indeed be exempt so you just enter NIL on the tax return for the self employment section and just then read through for any other incomes you have to declare (as the self assessment tax return is your total income position for the year) If the tax return is for the year 06/04/2014 to 05/04/2015 (tax year 2014/2105) then the deadline was 31/01/2016 for that return. Let me know if I can assist further ThanksSam