How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 17610
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

FBAR reporting - I asked a question a couple of days ago if

This answer was rated:

FBAR reporting - I asked a question a couple of days ago if my non-US partner's personal details need to be disclosed on the FBAR. Your advice was that there is no need due to my partner being non-US. I have since heard conflicting advice on this and been told I do need to provide all the information on my partner.
Can you please clarify if there are any issues if this information is not disclosed? Do the guidance notes state anything about this?
Thank you
If you are filing and reporting a joint account held with your spouse then yes their information is required.This is not stated in the instructions for the FBAR but it is the practice of the IRS to accept one filing for both when the names of the joint owners are fully disclosed. This practice only applies to joint owners who are husband and wife and who reside at the same address.Other joint owners must file separate FBARs. BUT only if each is required to file a FBAR
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We are not married but live together and my partner is not a US citizen. So do I need to disclose or not?

Just for yourself. Their name should not be on your FBAR
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. Are there any issues if the FBAR includes my partner's name and details? The CPA I have appointed has advised that they need to include full details even though they are non-US so I'm not sure why.

No, I do not think there would be any problems from it.I think because it is a partnership they want to list the name
TaxRobin and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you