How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 17146
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

My wife and I are pensioners and receive the state pension.

Customer Question

My wife and I are pensioners and receive the state pension. I also receive an additional income from a drawdown private pension.
She has no extra income and therefore does not use anywhere near her tax-free allowance.
Can some or all of this be transferred to me to reduce my tax commitment ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 2 years ago.
HelloIf your spouse or civil partner doesn't pay tax, she can transfer any Married Couple’s Allowance that she hasn't used because:she doesn't pay taxher tax bill isn’t high enoughFill in form 575 or ask HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) to post you a copy.