How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5116
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

I am 73 and well under the £10,500 do

Customer Question

i am 73 and well under the £10,500 do not pay tax. I have just recieved £25000 PPI compensation from LLOYDS TSB, they have deducted just over £3000 tax, should I be able to claim it back from HMRC,
many thanks, ***** *****
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. If your income in the tax year is well under your personal allowance and you think you should not be paying tax on the PPI compensation from Lloyds Bank, you should complete Form R40 and seek repayment from HMRC.You can download this form here You may find information on PPI compensation - Tax implications here helpful I hope this is helpful and answers your question.If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.