How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4783
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

There, my partner and I have used a book keeper to do our

Customer Question

Hi there, my partner and I have used a book keeper to do our taxes since may 2013. In this time we have noted that we may have gone over the VAT freshhold and have not registered approx. 1 yr ago. How can we put this right?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. If your aggregated turnover of standard, reduced or zero rated supplies has exceeded the Turnover limit of 82K in any one year you must register for the tax. Here is the Gov UK advice on late registration: 'Late registration You must register within 30 days of your business turnover exceeding the threshold. If you register late, you must pay what you owe from when you should have registered.' This could be a quite expensive exercise having to meet 20% of your sales for a year not to mention possible penalties. If you service commercial customers you could issue revised invoices. It would cost them nothing in the longer term as any additional payment ie the VAT, would be for them input tax which can be reclaimed on their quarterly returns. Non registered customers may well jib! HMRC could raise a penalty of 10% of the tax overdue 9 months and 5% for less. If you have breached the limit register immediately and make adjustments charging the outstanding tax on your first quarterly return. I am so sorry to gave to rain on your parade.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
I should have mentioned that late registration is covered in VAT Notice 700/41 which you can find at: