How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 17175
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

I am inquiring about a place that I worked have claimed

This answer was rated:

Hi I am inquiring about a place that I worked have claimed using a form to say that I used staff accommodation an it's caused me to owe tax I can't remember the name of the form but I did not stay in staff accommodation and I have proof of address history to prove this I spoke to hmrc and they said to approach my old employer but I don't understand it and don't know how to approach them any help would be amazing
HelloIf the accommodation an employer provides isn’t exempt, they must report it to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC). They may have to deduct and pay tax and National Insurance on the accommodation and any related costs, eg Council Tax or upkeep.This includes any accommodation you provide, even if the employee doesn’t actually use it.When you contact the employer request their documentation that shows they provided accommodation to you.Call the ex employer or send them a letter.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When I first started a condition wasn't available as it was full so I found my own so would this be classed as exempt I don't understand it
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Accommodation sorry not condition
If that changed and you did not move into the accommodation when it was available that is not exempt.
You need to request the exact dates that it was available to you.They may have charged too much but you must contact the employer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So even though I didn't use I still have to pay more tax because of it?
Unfortunately yes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So is there any real point in trying to sort this out in your honest opinion?
Only if the accommodation was very limited in time. In other words if they applied this to an entire year but you were only really offered accommodation for a very short time.
You are required to click a positive rating if I am to be credited with the response.
TaxRobin and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry had to pick up my other half thank you so much was very helpful
You are most welcome.