How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15977
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I jointly own five properties with my uncle. We wish

This answer was rated:

Hello, I jointly own five properties with my uncle. We wish to rearrange that so that we each own some of the five properties outright.
What is the best way to do this, minimizing the tax bill?
Thank you
Hi. Let me take a look at this and I'll get back to you in a bit.
In order to avoid or minimise a charge to CGT and possibly stamp duty, you need to try to split the properties in such a way as to keep any cash equalisation payment as low as possible as it is the cash that will lead to a CGT liability. You can make an election under Section 248A to E of Taxation of Chargeable Gains Act 1992 to defer any CGT charges until future disposals. You would disclose your respective disposals in your tax returns and make the election. Take a look at the following for more information: (to 73010) I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you