How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14192
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I am a US citizen, I have lived in the UK years now.

This answer was rated:

I am a US citizen, I have lived in the UK for 16 years now. i have been saving money in a USA bank account. I now want to spend some of that money, but I read somewhere that I would have to pay tax on using that money? is that correct? I mean, if I bring it into the UK. Another thing is that if I bring the money back, I may make a small profit as the dollar is stronger now than when I saved it... so for example, when I saved it I would et $1.65 dollars to the pound sterling... now the the dollar is $1.43, so say I had $100,000 then i would make a small profit. If I then, transfer it again to the US when I get more dollars, what happens? is that legal?
Hi Thanks for your question - I am Sam and I am one of the Uk tax experts here on Just Answer. Not necessarily - may I ask where the money that you save has originated fro, and is this from income in the UK or from a USA source? And was it from before you arrived in the Uk or since I can then advsie further Thanks Sam
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, this is saved money from income in the UK and some from child support for my first child. And I didn't really have it when I came to the UK, I had about $5K but that was from child support that I saved...
Hi Thanks for your response As you would already have paid tax on the earnings and child support is not a taxable income - then as long as you have declared this account and any interest earned from it to HMRC then there will be no tax liability arising on the act of just transferring this into the UK - just make sure that you inform your bank (in the UK) of this planned transfer. ThanksSam
Sam and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.