How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4959
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

Can you explain to me how the letting relief work on CGT

This answer was rated:

Can you explain to me how the letting relief work on CGT please?
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. Lettings Relief (LR) is available up to 40K depending on the rentals received. You must occupy the let property before or after the letting period to be eligible. You also have an Annual Exempt Amount (AEA) currently 11.1K, not cumulative, in addition to offset gains. I do hope that my reply has been of assistance.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. How do I prove I am living or have lived in the house? The house is a rental property, and I have a small portfolio, but I pay all of the bills in ALL of the properties!
Surely the Council Tax bill would prove your residence. This tax is levied on the occupier, not the owner. Alternatively your notification to HMRC that you are in occupation would suffice. Hope that helps.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
one last thing please, but... If I pay council tax in all of the properties, how would this work? Thanks
Council tax demands require the name of the occupants of the premises as it is a tax on occupation, not ownership. If the worst came to the worst you could always swear an affidavit to cover the position. Please be so kond as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.