How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15975
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I am unemployed .I saw a jobcentre compliance officer last

This answer was rated:

I am unemployed .I saw a jobcentre compliance officer last week and they told me that the hmrc have found out about abank account which I did not declare and they want me to write to the bank stating how much is in the account or they will stop my benefits .do I have to comply?
Hi. If I were you, I'd ask the jobcentre to show me the communication from HMRC that they referred to and the law behind their demand that you write to HMRC. Otherwise, you only need to respond to HMRC when they write to you directly. As far as the threat to stop your benefits is concerned, I'm no expert on the law around jobseekers allowance and what impact savings has on entitlelment as this is a tax question site not a benefits law question site so I'd have to refer you to the Citizens' Advice Bureau on that. If you are receiving bank interest without deduction of tax, you would only have tax to pay if the sum of that bank interest and the jobseekers allowance you receive exceeded the personal tax allowance which is currently £10,600 for the 2015/16 tax year. If the interest has tax deducted, you may be entitled to a tax repayment of some of the tax deducted, again dependent on the level of your income in any one tax year. I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
HMRC only ask for bank statements if they are conducting a tax enquiry. In order to do that, they have to write to you. I'd ask the jobcentre or the CAB for the law supporting the demand to see your bank statements.