How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4969
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I am buying a used cherry picker possibly from Europe and

This answer was rated:

Hi I am buying a used cherry picker possibly from Europe and would like to know how it works with the paperwork concerning VAT as is exempt if exporting.
If extra info is required please ask.
Hello John, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. Sales within the EU are not exports, but standard rated supplies. If the seller has the VAT number or equivalent of the buyer then the reverse charge system applies. Under this system the supplier charges VAT on their invoice and accounts for it as output tax, but immediately enters the VAT as an input thus effectively making it a zero rated supply. The seller makes periodical EU Sales List returns, at least he does in the UK! The buyer has a VAT invoice with output tax which can be reclaimed in the usual way on the quarterly return as an input. Don't blame me, I didn't invent this crazy system! I do hope I have shed some light on VAT within the EU.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi yes I used the wrong word in export. But only trouble for me is I am not VAT registered in UK as turnover is still under the limit but is there an other way.
Unfortunately John no, unless of course the seller is not VAT registered either, or not resident in an EU state, or it is a private transaction. Many EU countries view our turnover threshold with deep suspicion. In Germany, for example, just one Euro of turnover exposes a trader to their VAT equivalent! I am so sorry to have to rain on your parade.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well thank you for your informed answer
Thank you for your support.