How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4959
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I am retired aged 71. I would like to divorce my wife (we have

This answer was rated:

I am retired aged 71. I would like to divorce my wife (we have been separated for 31 years). Can I transfer the whole of my SIPP to her as a divorce settlement. She already owns the original family home.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to ba able to help you with your question. Yes, you can, although pension splitting is a more normal route. Citywire Money gives the following guidance: 'There are three ways to split a pension in a divorce settlement, the first and increasingly common way is through off-setting. This is where the whole pension is taken, typically by the husband, and the wife is given other assets – such as property or cash – of equal value. Less common is earmarking which is when part of a pension fund is attached to the wife who has a pension income entitlement to it when she retires.' Then there is pension splitting between husband and wife. All this will have to be agreed by the other party and the assistance of a trusted, local solicitor is essential. I do hope that I have shed some light on your situation.
This poor rating astonishes me. the customer has asked if he can transfer his pension to his ex as part of the divorce settlement. I have told him the three ways that pensions are split on divorce which includes the option he is considering and told him that he must retain a solicitor in the matter. I suggest that the low rating is unwarranted and should be upgraded..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dear *****I'm sorry - I think I must have done something wrong. Your reply was indeed correct, accurate and definitely answered my question. I hope they can redo my comment.
You may have hit the wrong key in error. I think you can revise your rating if you could be so kind.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.