How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I sold my Prime residence in South Africa, before returning

This answer was rated:

I sold my Prime residence in South Africa, before returning to the UK and purchasing a home here. Is there a capital gains liability
Hi.How long did you live in South Africa?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
29 years
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Also owned the property (My home) for 28 years
Thanks. Leave this with me while I draft my answer.
Assuming that the property in South Africa was your main home for the entire period of ownership, then any gain will be exempt from UK Capital Gains Tax under the main residence rules which you can read about in HS283. If the property was sold before you returned to the UK, the gain would be exempt from UK CGT in any event. I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you