How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4810
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

We are liable to pay tax year but HMRC has added days

Customer Question

We are liable to pay tax for 1 year but HMRC has added days onto three more years so we are being asked to pay full UK tax for 4 years keeping in mind that tax has already been payed on the income in country where it was earned and the days they are adding are days of unemployment.Also a fine of 47.000 has been added as they insisted we are not being upfront about our assets. Please help
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am happy to wait but I have now had a letter saying they might declare me bankrupt hope to hear from u soon xx
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Thank you for your patience,
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. Before I can assist you I need to know the country where the income was earned. Once I know this I will be in a position to give you advice.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Keith the money was earned in Singapore Malaysia and Angola
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
Right, the UK has Double taxation Treaties with both Singapore, Malaysia, but not Angola. This means that the taxes deducted in S and M are available as tax credits against any UK liability on the same income stream, but with A income there is always a danger of being taxed twice. If you have not drawn HMRC's attention to the Double Taxaation position you should remind them of the Treaties and the entitlement to tax credits. HMRC's approach of imposing such fines for not being frank about assets is mere sabre rattling and you should appeal against such an extortionate levy. The asset position has no bearing on the matter unless assets are being disposed of which may give rise to a liability to Capital Gains tax (CGT).