How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4953
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

1- I am a British citizen with duo nationality (Angolan being

This answer was rated:

1- I am a British citizen with duo nationality (Angolan being the first)
2- I have my Wife and two kids which still living in UK
3- I am working in Angola as an Angola citizen (paying all the tax in Angola)
4- I transfer part of my earns to UK account to support and pay my UK expenses
5- I received a penalty from HMRC for not completing the tax return fro 2014-2015 (This is in accordance with paragraph3 of schedule 55 to the finance act 2009)
6- Do I have to pay tax for the money I transfer to UK?
7- Will I be better of if I declare to HMRC as a non resident? (Although I travel to UK 3-4 times a year and stay for 20-25 days each visit)
8- Will HMRC tax me again on my income?
9- I reported last year to HMRC that I was going to work in Angola
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have received the letter only on Friday (04-03) but the letter is dated 17/02.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. I would suggest that you should have sent HMRC a Form P85 when you first moved to Angola; writing a letter simply will not work as a P85 goes to a different office. Fortunately there is no time limit as to the submission of a P85, it is available on the web and can be filed on line. On receipt HMRC will class you as non resident for the tax year following your date of departure and furthermore splt the leaving year into two portions, one resident and one non resident. On you have been classified as non resident you can spend up to 91 days in the UK in any one tax year without breaching your non resident status. The 91 days can be averaged out over four tax years. The penalty for failing to make a 14/15 self assessment tax return could be the subject of an appeal. Firstly, did HMRC ask you to make one? Secondly there is no requirement to self assess unless you are in receipt of income which has not been taxed at source. HMRC tends to send out these penalties automatically without checking the individual taxpayer's position. You do not have to pay tax on the moneys you send to the UK for your wife. Inter spousal transfers are outside the scope of UK taxation. There is a danger that HMRC may want to tax you on your Angolan income. The UK has no Double Taxation Treaty with Angola to protect you from taxation in both jurisdictions. Were there one then the tax in one state would be allowed as a tax credit in the other. I do hope that I have shown you a way forward in this matter.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi there!I am not receiving any income/benefit in UK but according to my contact with HMRC this afternoon, they said that I am still as resident for the tax year 14/15 and they need to know if I had any source of income for this period. I want to fill the tax return and declare that I had not income in. Will HMRC ever know/check or the Bank notify HMRC of my transfers from abroad. My plan is to notify HMRC by filling the P85 form as non resident.
Good, the P85 will make dealing with HMRC much easier. The Bank will not notify HMRC of incoming funds. In any event transfers to spouse is outside the scope of UK taxation.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi there!I was self employed from 22/02/14 till 07/05/2014 (date which I stopped and reported to HMRC). HMRC wants to know what is my state (income or what I was doing for the 14/15 financial year. I am working in Angola and failed to fill the P85 form to let HMRC know.My question is, when filling the tax return form can I mention that I had not income?
Yes, you can, you merely declare no income. Just fill an a P85 now and file with HMRC.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you very much for you prompt reply
Delighted to be of assistance.