How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15976
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I am taking care of my 88year old mothers finances and

Customer Question

Hello, I am taking care of my 88year old mothers finances and note that she is being taxed on the small monthly pensions that she receives. the tax is actually more than 50% of her pension. My question is, is their any way of claiming expenses for her carer that we have every day and the amount of money we have to pay out for care products for her.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.
Hi. I'm afraid that there are no tax reliefs for any of the types of expenses you mentioned. As your mother has a carer, you might look into claiming attendance allowance if it is not already being claimed as am addition to her state pension and pension credit. Look here and here for more information. As far as the tax deductions are concerned, you should call the tax office on the number here and ask them to review your mother's tax code or codes to make sure they are correct and, if not, to have them put right. I would imagine that the tax deduction is high because the state pension your mother receives is paid gross and so part of her personal allowance has been allocated to that. I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.
Hi.I'm just following up to find out if my answer helped or if you have any further questions.