How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15977
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I have property that I want to sell. That was our first property.

This answer was rated:

I have property that I want to sell. That was our first property. We currently stay in another property. Is Capital gains tax applicable to me
Hi. Can you tell me how long you have owned the property that you wish to sell please. Is it solely or jointly owned? Is it or has it been let? How long have you owned the property you are currently living in?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We have owned the property that we want to sell for 10 years and lived in the property that we want to sell for 5 years and 1 month. It is solely owned. Yes it had been rented out and the tenants are moving out this month.The have been living the current property for 4 years and 6 monthsPlease do let me know if you need any additional informationMany thanks
Thanks. Can you let me know how much the property cost to buy and what you hope to sell it for.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It costed us £137,000. We invested a further 35 thousand on the property and we are looking to sell it for £175,000.Hope this helps
Assuming the sale figure is correct, you will have no CGT to pay as the gain will only be £3,000 (£175,000 - £137,000 - £35,000). The annual CGT exemption is £11,100 per individual. I would say that HMRC may ask to see proof of the improvements costs in the form of receipts and invoices and may disallow any that you cannot prove. Photographic evidence may help.I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks a lot for this. Can I please keep this question open till about 5PM today before we close. Just in case I have any questions related to the above.Hope you don't mind this ?Many thanks
It will stay open as long as you wish it to.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks a lot for that Tony. I will get back to you shortly.Many thanks once again
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Tony, I have the following bills for the expenses of 35K
- New Kitchen - £7070.00
- New fitted Cupboard in Bedroom 1 - £2020.00
- New fitted cupboard in Bedroom 2 - £1950.00
- Boiler replacement and Plumbing - £1790.00
- New Bathroom - £4500.00Based on the above can I request you to please let me know what my CGT would be. This will be my last question :)Many thanks
Is the property jointly owned? If so, did you both live in it for 5 years and 1 month?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No its a single owner
OK. Leave this with me while I do some calculations.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok thanks
If you sold the the property today for £175,000, you would make a gain of £20,670 (£175,000 - £137,000 - £17,330). You can also deduct the costs of purchase and sale (legal fees, stamp duty, survey fees, selling agent fees).Total period of ownership to March 2016: 115 monthsPeriod of owner occupation: 61 monthsPeriod of letting: 54 monthsExempt gain: £14,199 (£20,670 / 115 x 79 (61 months + last 18 months of ownership)Letting period gain: £6,471 (£20,670 / 115 x 36 (54 - last 18 months of ownership)Gross Non-Exempt Gain: £6,471Letting Relief: £6,471 (lesser of £40,000, £14,199 and £6,471)Annual CGT Exemption: £11,100Net Taxable Gain: £0 (£6,471 - £6,471 - £11,100)Even if you didn't claim any of the improvement costs, there would be no taxable gain. The exempt gain would be £26,104. Letting relief of £11,896 would cover the balance.Refer to HS283 for information on the main residence and CGT.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi TonyThanks a lot for your help with this. I has been really important and useful information for me. Really please that I got on to this site.Many thanks once again