How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4948
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I need some advice on self assesment. I have rental properties

This answer was rated:

I need some advice on self assesment. I have rental properties where i receive rents.My accountants have filled in my S Assesment based on the assumption my rental is 3365 but I actually received £1500. They are adamant that tax is payable on "Rental income is taxable of the amounts that are due rather than received, so despite you only receiving £1,500 the full amount is taxable and your 2015 tax return is correct".
My argument is how can I pay tax on 3365 where I only got 1500.
Can you advise?
k rgds
Hello Sudesh, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question. I suggest that you draw your accountants to Gov UKs own web site where it clearly states that in respect of property rental: ' You or your company must pay tax on the profit you make from renting out the property, after deductions for ‘allowable expenses’.' Your accountant does not appear of the realities of the situation. I cannot agree with his interpretation and would ask him to provide the statutory authority for his contention. Where, of course a rental, has been deliberately depressed for private reasons eg to accommodate a relative or friend he may, and only may, be correct. Only GBP 1500 need be declared.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Keith,I even took this up with HMRC and explained exactly the scenario and they did not mention in any event what my accountants are so adamant about. it's just they have submitted my S A online and I cannot amend any features on my S A .
Then don't pay your accountants until they have unscrambled the mess of their own making and report their incompetence to their professional institute if they have one.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.