How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4800
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

If I buy a flat in my son's name but all rental income is paid

This answer was rated:

If I buy a flat in my son's name but all rental income is paid only to me, will this asset affect his entitlement to student loans/grants? He is in 3rd year Medicine at Glasgow University, but is from England so pays full fees etc.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to ba able to help you with your question. Your income is the measure used to assess a student grant so the rental will be relevant. Don't forget that when you sell or give away the flat you will be liable for Capital Gains Tax (CGT) on the gain on disposal. I had a questioner who did exactly what you are doing and sold many years later. It cost him 35K in CGT for a house he never occupied. I do hope I have shed some light on your position.
Your quetion has reappeared on my listings. Do you perhaps have a follow up question which has not registered?
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.