How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4948
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

As a UK Citizen, paying UK taxes, do I have to pay taxes on

This answer was rated:

As a UK Citizen, paying UK taxes, do I have to pay taxes on any money made on financial securities from trading the Options markets, as I was informed that you don't have to if they are financial securities. Thank you.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. Moneys made from these activities normally come under the Capital Gains Tax (CGT) regime. At the end of the tax year your net gains, after deduction of your Annual Exempt Amount (AEA) of 11.1K, would be taxed at 18% or 28% or a combination of the two rates depending on your income including the gains in that tax year. There is one proviso, however. My answer assumes the transactions do not amount to trading, if so, net profits would be caught by the Income Tax (IT) regime and taxed at your marginal rate of tax where rates of tax can be higher (40% or even 45%). I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.