How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15976
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

My father lives in Ireland and pays Irish taxes. I live

This answer was rated:

Hi My father lives in Ireland and pays Irish taxes. I live in the UK (paying UK taxes) and he wishes to transfer to my UK bankk 50000 euros as he wants me to organise part of his financial needs. Will I be subject to tax on this money.
Please let me know
Thank you
Hi. Can you tell me what you mean by "organise part of his financial needs" please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Basic day to day costs - travel / social meals / clothes etc. He doesn't want to be bothered with paying directly, at 96 he wants to make things simple from his pov
Thanks. You wouldn't have to pay UK tax on the money even if it was a gift. However, it would be a good idea to have a document signed by both yourself and your father which says that he has transferred 50,000 Euros to you on whatever date and that this is his money which you will use to meet some of his basic day to day costs as you described them, in view of his age. You might also keep a record of how the money is spent. If the money is transferred to you electronically, then it will be easy to prove where it came from if you are asked but you should give your bank advance notice that your account will be in receipt of a significant sum of money to avoid triggering their money laundering procedures. If the cash generates any interest, then your father may need to report that to the Irish tax people. I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you