How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14164
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I am Teacher and UK passport holder and have worked

This answer was rated:

I am Teacher and UK passport holder and have worked outside of the UK in overseas International Schools for the previous 20 years.
I terminated my employment contract (a non-UK employer) in June 2015 and immediately arrived in the UK.
Except for a few weeks visting Europe, I have remained in the UK ever since and have not worked at all.
I have stayed in a relative's house and exceeded 184 days residence in the UK for the current UK tax-year.
I have lived off my savings currently located in an off-shore bank account. I draw my income from debit/credit cards. My living expenses has exceeded GBP 10,000 for the current tax year 2015/2016.
Except for < GBP 200.00 interest on my total assets for the current tax year, I have no other accruing financial assets.
I do not consider myself to be a permanent residence of the UK and will be leaving UK in mid-July 2016 for a permanent overseas position working for another non-UK employer.
Please tell me if I am obligated to pay UK income tax for the current tax year from the information stated above.
Kind regards, John
Hi John Thanks for your question - I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on just Answer.Your only liability is the &pound;200 interest (which is income that rises since your arrival in the UK, and as you can have &pound;11,000 tax free you will have no UK liability. So you need not take any action with HMRC. ThanksSam
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Sam,Thanks for your returned information. I do have a query relating to your answer.
Please see the heading, ""If you work in the UK and abroad"" in the link from the UK government Inland Revenue site which I have enclosed here: confusion is that the site states that I must not have accrued more than GBP 100 in the current year, but you have stated in your previous answer that the limit is < GBP 200. Adminttedly, this is a tiny amount, but enough for HMRC to have included in their website.Thank you in advance, John
Hi John Thanks for your response The &pound;200 relates to the amount of income you say you have earned in interest - and the fact that you have made less than the personal allowances for the yearThat is all my comment related to - and has noting to do with limits of income that have to be declared on self assessment Thanks Sam
Sam and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you