How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14195
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

Morning. A small private limited UK company has a director

This answer was rated:

Morning. A small private limited UK company has a director who resides abroad most of the time. From time to time he has to come over to the UK to attend Board Meetings or make finance decisions. The company is not at the level that full audit is required. The director has been told that he can claim all his travel expenses to come to the UK for such meetings and return costs as well as hotel expenses whilst he is here. Is this right please? We do not wish to fall foul of the rules which for UK people seem to regard this as home to work but the distance may of course change matters. Any advice would be appreciated.
Many thanks
Hi Thanks for your question - I a, Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer. What other duties does he normally perform and do these all take place in his home country ? What do the articles of association state with respect to his working arrangements? Is there a contract of employment which details where and how work duties are performed? ThanksSam
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

General management undertaken in country of residence using internet and email plus some phone. Mem and Arts old school no reference to what he should do. Contract open. He is a 50% shareholder along with his wife other 50% so between them they share the managing duties and issue instructions to the UK based staff.

Hi Thanks for your response Although you do not advsie whether there is a contract - clearly in the absence of one, and based on what you go on to advsie that his normal workplace is his country of residence - and therefore yes he can claim travel expenses and have these paid tax free for his travel and his hotel fees. Let me know if I can be of any furtehr assistance Thanks Sam
Sam and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you