How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14195
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

My nephew has just returned from his first 6 months as a dancer

This answer was rated:

My nephew has just returned from his first 6 months as a dancer on a cruise ship where he paid tax and I wasn't sure how he fills in his self assessment? Kind regards Kathleen
Hi Thanks for your question - I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer Was your nephew paid from the UK or from abroad? When did he start this work and is he continuing with the same company and on the same contract and what visits (or docking) in the UK has he had and likely to have How long is this work likely to last I ask all these questions to help assist with his tax and completing the self assessment tax return (which will not be due to complete until after 05/04/2016) Thanks Sam
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Sam
He worked on the Princess Cruise Lines Ltd, which is registered in Bermuda and he has received a Seafarer's record of employment from the Government of Burmuda. He started on 21 September 2015 until 15 Feb 2016, and earned £1275 per month and paid tax of £255 per month. His payslip to 05/02/16 has £6,960.14 taxable pay and £1,391.80 tax paid T/d. The ship cruised the Caribbean, so stopped off at different locations all the time. He has another contract starting in July 16 and hoping to have some work in London in between. Thanks Kathleen
Hi Kathleen Thanks for your responseThen he should1) complete form P85 if he has not already done so for HMRC link here for this form and then 2) after 05/04/2016 complete the self assessment tax return with employment and residency (and also declare any other income earned from 06/04/2015 to 20/09/2015 and from 16/02/2016 to 05/04/2016Thanks Sam
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Sam, looking at the form it is for personnel who have worked full time abroad for a full tax year, unfortunately Robert contract was for the 6 months last year, not sure if he will qualify. Kind regards Kathleen
Hi Kathleen Thanks for your response The reason to complete the form is so that HMRC can formally establish your nephews residency status for tax purposes. But based on what you advsie your nephew will for the tax year 2015/2106 be treated as resident and liable to UK tax on his worldwide income But he must still inform HMRC that he had this income from abroad and time out of the UK and if he had no other employment through the year may well be due a tax repayment Let me know if I can assist further Thanks Sam
Sam and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Sam, your help has been very much appreciated. Hopefully I will be able to obtain a tax refund for him,Kind regards