How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14195
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I have dual citizenship with Australian and UK passports.

Customer Question

I have dual citizenship with Australian and UK passports. I am originally from the UK but have been living in Australia for almost 15 years. I no longer have any financial ties with the UK. I am considering returning to the UK temporarily for work. The employer is Korean and I am trying to work out the most tax efficient way of doing this. For example could the Korean employer pay directly in to my Australian bank account and I continue to pay Australian taxes as a non resident or be paid in to a UK account and pay UK taxes? Or if there is another option out there.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
Hi Thanks for your question - I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer. I am afraid its all down to your physical resdiency status which determines wehere your tax obligations will be. When you say you plan to return temporary to the UK - what period of time will this be, and will the work actually be undertaken in the UK? Thanks Sam
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Sam,
I will probably be on a 3 year contract and the work will be undertaken in the UK. This could easily extend if I decide to stay on in the UK with or without the Korean employer. I would like to continue to pay in to my superannuation (pension) fund in Australiaduring this period if that makes any difference. The contract won't commence until next year but the Korean employer has asked me to provide a proposal for relocation and salary as soon as possible. The salary part depends a lot on whether I pay tax in Australia or UK. Basically, I would like to know if I could be an expat in the UK with tax advantages even though I have a British passport.
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
Hi Thanks for your response and the additional information On the information given you will be treated as resident in the UK from the date you arrive through to the date you leave - and will therefore be liable to UK tax on this income and as you will be an employee but there is no employment base in the UK you will need to operate PAYE on your own salary as a direct employer scheme for HMRC. I will advsie this would apply even if you were not a dual passport holder, its merely based on your physical presence and plans regarding your UK duration, and the fact you will perform all duties in the UK and the fact you hope to continue to pay into your pension fund in Australia has no relevance on the UK tax position (although you may need to check this is still permissible or any reliefs still due with you not remaining resident in Australia - note I am not an Australian tax or pension expert - so my advsie is based on how the UK operate under the same circumstance) If you chose to remin filing for your taxes in Australia then you would merely declare income and the tax suffered in the Uk so that you benefited from the tax treaty we have with Australia re double taxation (means you do not suffer two lots of tax on the same income) Link here re the employer direct scheme Let me know if I can expand or assist further Thanks Sam
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your response. Very helpful. I'll discuss also with and AustralianCustomerto see if there is anything I can do my end. Regards, Nathan
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
HI Nathan You are very welcome and if you need any further assitance then do please come back to Just Answer, and if you would prefer you can always ask for me If you could take the time to rate me for the level of service I have provided (or click accept) it would be very much appreciated ThanksSam