How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15980
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I have been living and working in Dubai since January 2012.

This answer was rated:

I have been living and working in Dubai since January 2012. I was made redundant by the company here in October last year. As I cannot find a job here now, I am having to return to UK on 23rd March. My question is will I have to pay UK tax on my saved earnings here in Dubai when I close my account and transfer them to my UK bank account?
Hi. Assuming that you have been treated as non-UK resident since you left the UK in 2012, then you won't have to pay UK tax on your saved earnings when you return to the UK and repatriate the money. Take a look here for a flowchart which should help you work out whether you have maintained your non-UK residency status from 6 April 2013. Prior to 6 April 2013, so log as you averaged less than 91 days in the UK per tax year from the date in January 2012 you left the UK to 5 April 2013, you will be treated as non-UK resident. I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That's good news, thanks. I kind of guessed that was the case but just wanted to be sure before I transferred my savings.