How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14164
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

Sorry I clicked the wrong tab before.If someone is a sole

Customer Question

Sorry I clicked the wrong tab before.
If someone is a sole trader and also has a limited company and both businesses roughly do the same type of work. If one is vat registered, should the other be vat registered.
Also if a person is a director of two limited companies and one is vat registered, is the businesses stand alone or is the person vat registered or are the businesses completely separate.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
Hi Thanks for your question - I am Sam and I am one of the Uk tax experts here on Just Answer. Yes both should be registered as you are in essence having just one trade that you operate the same type of business from. With the 2 x limited companies, if again both provide the same trade then both should be registered - see info here from HMRC VAT and artificially separating business Specifically same tarde same use of working space or tools etc same clients etc would all constitute issues with HMRC VAT Let me know if I can assist further Thanks Sam
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
HI Did you have any follow up questions, as your post has appeared as an open question but there is nothing further added after my response Thanks Sam