How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15977
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

If I get paid a bonus at the end of 2016, is there

This answer was rated:

Hi. If I get paid a bonus at the end of 2016, is there anyway to pay this into a pension before being taxed? This is in the UK.
Hi. Tell your employer that you want to sacrifice the bonus and have them make a similar payment into a pension plan instead. They should have no problem with that as they won't have to pay employer's national insurance contributions on a pension contribution whereas they will on a bonus. That will save them 13.8%. I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Isn't this losing its effectiveness due to tapering? I have an income over 150k per year, and I read that there are Measures coming in after April 2016 that mean I will be taxed at 45% if I contribute over 40k into my pension. Can you confirm?
That is the case for those with "adjusted net incomes incomes" of more than £150,000 but there was no mention of your earnings level in your question. However, the government wants to reduce the tax relief costs of pension contributions and so they have introduced the measures you have heard about. If you look here, here and here, you will see how the tapering works. You can still use unused relief from the three previous tax years where the annual allowance for the current year has been used. These rules are new and you should consult an independent financial adviser if you have a private pension plan or your employer's pension scheme administrators if you are a member of their scheme for a detailed appraisal of your options.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Tony that does answer my question, I would like to point out that not being an expert on tax it is difficult to know the best way to ask a question, hence the need to bounce back and forth to arrive at a suitable answer.
Thanks for accepting my answer. I completely understand your point As Donald Trump said, there are known unknowns and unknown unknowns!.