How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4949
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

My wife does not claim her personal allowance.As I still work

This answer was rated:

My wife does not claim her personal allowance.As I still work and pay income tax can I claim that allowance? I am 75,my wife is 63.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. Spouses with unused personal allowances can transfer up to 10% (GBP 1060 15/16; 1100 16/17) to their partners. Full information including how to do it is available here: Information is scanty as to whether an election in 15/16 will carry forward to 16/17 and subsequent tax years. My wife has transferred to me and I still have not received my 16/17 tax coding, the initial ones of which have been wrong these 19 years out of 20! I, personally don't hold out much hope, but we will see. I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.