How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4783
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

My son is a pilot working in Norway air he

Customer Question

Hi my son is a pilot working in Norway for Norwegian air he is paying Norwegian tax but wondered as he will only be there six months is there a UK contribution he has to pay ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. If your son spends more than 183 days in the UK in any one tax year then he is liable for UK taxation on his world wide income. 183 days is perilously close to six months! Fortunately the UK and Norway have a Double Taxation Treaty in force which precludes the same income stream being taxed in both jurisdictions. This is achiever=d by means of tax credits, the tax paid in one country being allowed as a tax credit against taxation in the other. Thus the Norwegian tax levied will be allowed against any UK liability. The Treaty does not, however, protect from differences in rates of taxation. I do hope that my reply has been od assistance.