How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4956
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

My wife is a PAYE. She is doing (currently) occasional unpaid

Customer Question

My wife is a PAYE. She is doing (currently) occasional unpaid work for a small start-up company. They have asked that she buy shares to the value of £1000 and then invoice further work to the value of £1000. They have offered to transact PAYE or that she invoices and then obviously settles her own tax. We don't want my wife to get tangled in having to do a tax return or to get involved in VAT for what seems a simple transaction but simply to pay the tax owed on the work. What should she do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. I do not think she need concern herself with VAT. Their is no requirement to register for that tax until her turnover reaches 82K in any one year. The simple solution is for her to be paid under PAYE. She will then be tax neutral at the year end assuming that the tax code issued by HMRC to her employers is correct. It is always a good idea to check these every time a new one is issued. I do hope that my reply, ask for PAYE, is of use.