How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 17175
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

I have worked in Connecticut, US 2 months in 2015,

This answer was rated:

I have worked in Connecticut, US for a 2 months in 2015, and would like to file for tax refunds for funds allocated. Can anyone tell me exactly what I must do?
Wages tips and other compensation totalled: $8128.86
Federal income tax withheld was $1457.96
Social security tax withheld was $503.99
Medicare tax withheld $117.87
(I can attach the payroll report for those two moths.)
Can anyone advise me exactly what to do?
HelloYou need to file a US form 1040NR if you were not a resident in the US. Residency would be if you hold a Green Card or you were in the US for the days that made you resident (generally 183 days unless you hold a VISA that exempts you).The Federal Income taxes are refundable but not the Social Security and Medicare.You most likely received a W2 form. That is used to prepare the 1040NR.Here is a link to the easier 1040NR-EZ You complete the top portion (name, address,.....)The wages from box 1 of the W2 are entered in line 3Follow the lines down (if you have nothing for a line skip it)Line 14 is most likely going to be the same as line 3Line 15 tax is $813 Line 17 sameThe withholding ($1458) is entered on line 18aLine 21 $1458You find the difference in 21 and 17 and that is your refund on line 22 and 23a
I need you to let me know how long you were in the US (not just working) and your VISA type
Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!
Checking to see if you responded
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Robin,
Thank you very much for your help.
I added my file. I think I did this right?
It looks correct to me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great. Thanks
You are most welcome.You are required to click a positive rating if I am to be credited with the response.You have to actively click on a rating and click submit. Smiley Faces or Stars.
TaxRobin and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One last question,
What about the state of Connecticut income tax?
They didn't take anything, right?
The state would have been a part year resident for you. You did not make enough to have to file in CT.You must file a Connecticut income tax return if your gross income for the taxable year exceeds:$14,500 and you are filing single;
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One last question, where do I send the form?
Department of the TreasuryInternal Revenue ServiceAustin, TX ###-##-####SA
Department of the TreasuryInternal Revenue ServiceAustin, TX ###-##-####SA