How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I lost my job in Sept 2012 and have not worked since.

This answer was rated:

Hello. I lost my job in Sept 2012 and have not worked since. I live with my partner and he pays all bills. Additionally, he transfers money into my account monthly for me to use as necessary. Is this taxable?
Hi. The money your partner gives to you each month is not taxable regardless of the use to which it is put. Technically, the payments could be viewed as gifts for Inheritance Tax purposes but I doubt that will happen. Many couples switch money between them all the time. It would be impossible to tax all those transactions. I hope this clarifies matters for you but let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the reply. In which case am i correct in thinking the same applies to any cash gifts I transfer from my account to my sons accounts?
There will be no income tax charge on cash gifts to your sons. Look here for information on Inheritance Tax exempt gifts.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the reply. I checked the link you sent me and can see there is an annual limit on Inheritance Tax exempt gifts. The money my partner gives me in total per year, and the amount I give to my sons in total per year, exceeds this limit to a substantial degree. So does your original answer to my question still apply?
You will never have to pay income tax on the cash sums given to you by your partner and the same applies to your sons as far as the sums you give to them are concerned. When a gift is made which is not a gift out of normal income, it is a potentially exempt transfer. This means that it will fall out of the donor's estate for Inheritance Tax purposes seven years after it is made if the donor lives that long and will escape an Inheriatnce Tax charge which is normally paid out of the deceased estate in any event. Look here for information on IHT.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you