How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4956
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I am a college student in UK (dual UK, USA citizenship). My

This answer was rated:

I am a college student in UK (dual UK, USA citizenship). My mother is Indian, and she want to send me some money from India via bank transfer to help with my college fees and living cost. do I have to pay taxes on the money remitted to my account in the UK?
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. The UK has no Gifts Tax regime so you receive your Mother's gifts free of UK taxation. If the sums are likely to be substantial you should warn your bank of the incoming funds and their source to preempt any money laundering inquiries a large transfer might attract. I do hope that I have cleared the air for you in this matter.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My mother is planning to send me 20,000.0 GPB -- would that be okay -- no taxes?
It doesn't matter how much she sends you; there is no UK tax on gifts. Don't forget to warn off your bank. Thank your for your support.
And your generous bonus.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you so much.
Delighted to have been of assistance.