How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

Currently I am the sole owner of our main residence that we

This answer was rated:

Currently I am the sole owner of our main residence that we are selling and we jointly purchasing a new main residence. My husband is the sole owner of a property in Manchester, which we are looking to put on the market very shortly. This was bought as his main residence 10 years ago, but we have been living together at my home for 7 years. My husband's property has been rented out, but was not purchased as a “buy to let” and he has not claimed any tax relief on it. We have not sold it earlier as it was in negative equity.
With the stamp duty changes effective 1st April:
- Do we have to pay the extra 3% stamp duty effective 1st April 2016 on the purchase of our new residence because my husband owns another property?
- Can we claim that with the sale of our main residence and purchase of a new main residence we are exempt?
- If we do sell my husband's property within 3 years, can we claim back the extra 3% stamp duty, even though it was not his main residence for the past 7 years?
Hi. Let me take a look at this and I'll get back to you in a bit.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thanks
You should refer to the document here, in particular the section headed "Married couples and civil partners" starting at section 2.4 and sections 2.8 to 2.11 inclusive. As a married couple, you can only have one main residence between you for the purposes of the increased rate of stamp duty. This mirrors the situation for Capital Gains Tax purposes. Therefore, as you are replacing your main residence by buying another main residence, you will only have to pay the increased stamp duty if your house is not sold at the same time as the purchase of the new house. If that is the case, so long as the previous main home (your house) is sold within 18 months of the purchase of the new main home, you will be able to claim a refund of the extra stamp duty. It all comes down to what is the main home and it seems clear to me that your house is the main home and that you are replacing it. I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Tony. We are actually completing on the sale of our main residence a 3-6 weeks before we complete on our new main residence as some repairs need to be done by the seller. So we won't have to pay the higher rate stamp duty at all?
That would be correct. The other property in Manchester doesn't come into it.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Many thanks for your help
Thanks. Enjoy your new home.