How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14195
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

Can I run a double glazing operation with two companies, one

Customer Question

Can I run a double glazing operation with two companies, one supplying and one fitting both owned and operated by me but staying below the vat threshold or would HMRC insist on grouping them together
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
Hi Thanks for your question - I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer. This is not permitted by HMRC VAT as this is treated as artificially separation of trade - just to avoid VAT, so the answer is no I would not recommend it HMRC would group them together anyway I am sorry the news is not more favourable, please advise if I can be of any further assistanceThanksSam
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What is the best way to structure it then
If one company has different directors and shareholders would that work ( presumably not relatives)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sam u still there
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
HiWe cannot offer advsie without representing you - Just Answer is an information seervice only (as we are not able to represent you as we would need face to face consultations. But I can advise if you had two completely separate companies and neither connected then yes you would be able to legitimately do this as it would be two businesses with different directors and share holders - and the income and taxes due would also be split to different people Thanks Sam