How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

My mother is 94 & in ill health. She has a house & savings

This answer was rated:

My mother is 94 & in ill health. She has a house & savings worth around £500K. Her will gifts myself & my 2 sisters her estate split equally. Can I pass on half of my inheritance (if my mum dies before me)directly to my 2 children without it counting towards my inheritance tax if I live another 7+ years?
Hi. If you gift half your inheritance to your children and live for seven years, it will escape Inheritance Tax. Take a look here for information on IHT taper relief which reduces the IHT charge from three years after a gift is made. You could take out a term assurance policy to cover any IHT with reducing cover as time passes and the IHT exposure reduces. An alternative would be to execute a deed of variation to your mother's will after she dies so that half your share goes direct to your children from your mother's estate. That would avoid the possibility of an IHT charge on your estate on the half you give away should you die before the seven years are up. Take a look here for information on deeds of variation. I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you