How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15977
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I was advised last year that I would no longer be required

Customer Question

I was advised last year that I would no longer be required to complete an annual 'return'.
For which I was thankful.....
However, I have received an email on 8/9, claiming to be from HMRC, that advises me calculations re.2015, reveal that I have overpaid £161. This will be refunded if I will fill in an online form, quoting Refund No:43654782; Nat. Ins. No:; and full details of my Bank 'card' etc. - I am suspicious, because although it infers I can post the form back to HMRC, it says the data processing online would be much faster. The email is 'signed' as from Lin Homer - Chief Executive; HMRC BX9 1AG. - The email 'address' is:-
"*****@******.***" - I would be most grateful if you can confirm whether this is a hoax or genuine. - I am Richard ***** *****ttlewood of 12,Mill Close, Rochester, ME2 3DA. - my email is '*****@******.***'
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.
Hi. It's an attempt to defraud you by getting your bank card details. HMRC will never ask you for your bank details or card details via an email. Delete the email. I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.
Hi.I'm just following up to find out if my answer helped or if you have any further questions.