How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 17609
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

My son and daughter-in-law are purchasing a new property and

This answer was rated:

My son and daughter-in-law are purchasing a new property and there will be an overlap on the sale of their old house meaning for a short while they will own 2 how does the new capital gains tax wef 01/04/2016 affect them.
HelloThey will still be allowed Private Residence Relief on the sale of home "A". An overlap of owning will not change that for them. The last 18 months of owning should cover them for the sale too.The new stamp duty tax may effect them.If they move out of their main residence (Home A) but keep it and buy another main residence (Home B), they will have to pay the 3% Stamp Duty surcharge initially. However, so long as they sell Home A within 36 months (increased from 18 months in the budget) of completing on the purchase of Home B, HMRC will make a full refund.
TaxRobin and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you