How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15976
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I own 3 properties, all rented, one of which was my main residence

This answer was rated:

I own 3 properties, all rented, one of which was my main residence until 2 years ago. In April 2014 I moved in to my mother's property to look after her. She died in October 2015 and I have inherited a one-third share in her property, where I still live. My sisters and I are now selling this house and I am purchasing another property for me to live in. My solicitor tells me I must pay the new rate of Stamp Duty on this purchase, but why is this so as I am actually selling my main residence of two years?
Hi. If you look at Example 10 and read section 2.8 here, its clear that as you are selling your main residence, albeit that you don't own it solely, and you are buying a new main residence, you should not have to pay the stamp duty increase. Even if your new home purchase completed before the property you own with your sisters is sold, you can have the extra stamp duty refunded so long as the previous main home is sold within 18 months. I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you