How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4953
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I have a bit of strange situation, I am moving back

This answer was rated:

I have a bit of strange situation, I am moving back to the UK (I am UK citizen) after spending 25 years in Switzerland. Though I do not have a job as yet I have been offered work by a Swiss Company but in Spain and Portugal for a month. I will be earning aroudn 1000 Euros and I would like to to declare this in the UK. The Swiss company will only hire me as a freelancer and are already saying they will not be doing any additional paperwork except a standard contract and then proof of payment.
I have already have an address and a very old social security number from when I left the UK in 1988 can you help me unmuddle things:)
Kind regards dorraine
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I should add this is a one off job and ill not be working after for a couple of months.. so do i need to do anything how low the salary is
Hello Dorraine, I am Keith one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. When you say a very old social security number I assume you mean a National Insurance (NI) Number which will be in the format AA NN NN NN A. This never changes and is now used as an additional reference for Income Tax (IT) by HMRC. You should also have a NHS number which is completely different which your local medical practice will need when you register with them. When you return to the UK the split year principle will apply and HMRC will class you as resident from the tax year following your date of return and furthermore split the year of arrival into two portions, one resident the other non resident once you notify them of your return. Presumably you will be billing the Swiss Company so you must register with HMRC for self employment, you can tell them you are back at the same time. They will arrange to send you a self assessment tax return to complete at the end of each tax year. As an EEA citizen you are entitled to a personal allowance, for 16/17, 11K, to offset any tax due. If you need any more information don't hesitate to follow up on this thread; welcome to Blighty which you will find somewhat changed with powers devolved to Scotland, a lot, and Wales and Northern Ireland a lot less!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you is there a minimum you must earn in order to be self employed
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
or a minium to pay .. i.e in Spain we must pay 300 a month to be autonomo...for social security
Not in the UK, I am pleased to say, no minimum: these Spanish Customs! 'Never going back to Spain, we will never never ever cross the sea again, we will never never ....' [Duke of Plaza Toro's Song from The Gondoliers]. Actually it is for the equivalent of our National Insurance (NI), but not, I understand as good. For the best service try France which is very comprehensive indeed or so I am told. When you file your self assessment tax return HMRC will send you a statement of what you owe in IT and NI or, if you have overpaid IT, send you a refund. Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you I will I am sorry I dont know how much I am allowed to ask on this subject.. but i what is the § I have to pay in National insurance as a freelance is it based on the tax return (so the next year) I do understand and do I have to contact them same time as the TAX/Freelance office if I am at the limit as to what this question allows me in answers, I sorry to ask so much but so much has changed and even when I was in the UK I was employed ..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My apologies I have jsut seen you answered 90% of my above question, may I just ask what was the % i have to pay to the NI
Well it all depends whether you are self employed or employed. Have a look here at the Gov UK's advice on the subject ( see paragraph 4). I have not laid it out for you because it is so complicated. If you earn too little you do not pay any NI at all, but depending on your classification it goes up until you reach the higher point then it levels out at 2%. If you do not have to pay anything you may be offered voluntary contributions to keep your card stamped, to use an old expression though we do not have cards anymore! I do hope that you are finding my replies od assistance. Sorry for the delay, I was at the dentist's.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you so very much that has helped me a lot and I do remember that expression from when I was there in the 80's I do hope the dentist was not too painful. Once again thank you for all your help it has all changed so much since i have left.:)
Thank you for your support. The dentist was a doddle, I was seen 45 minutes early through a late attendance by someone else and was in and out in a few moments with a quick, painless filling.