How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14152
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I have employed an au pair since 2011 - and despite making

Customer Question

I have employed an au pair since 2011 - and despite making sure I have satisfied all the visa regulations, I only recently discovered that as I am paying her more than £0 per week in pocket money `i should have registered as an employer. I wrote with all the details of pay and calculated the full liability was only JUST OVER £200 because of a few incidents of paying over the NIC threshold. I have gone though the Basic Paye tools as far back as 2013/14 but was told I have to fill in a P14 and P35 on the HMRC website for the year 2012/13. Just got to the point of completion and see there is a fine for late payment of £100 per month!!! which will cripple me. I am not well off but wanted to give this young lady a chance. CAN YOU TELL ME WHETHER THEY ARE HARD AND FAST ABOUT THIS OR WILL THERE BE ANY ROOM FOR APPEAL.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Hi Thanks for your question _ I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer. There may well be room for appeal - IF you owe no tax or National Insurance for this period (2013/2014)Can you advsie specifically want was owed for that specific tax year Thanks Sam
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
£93.34 or £222.30 if a personalChristmas gift of £500 has to be included. I asked HMRC for a ruling and they gave me nor reply. Just sent all the registration info.Thanks Sylvie
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sylvie Thanks for your response Yes the Christmas Gift has to be included as it has a monetary value so a liability of £222.30 then HMRC are unlikely to uphold an appeal as there does not appear to a reasonable excuse that would allow them to mitigate the penalty. I am sorry to not be able to offer any way around this. But I do encourage you to try to appeal anyway - you may just get someone who feels kindly disposed that reviews your appeal, but if you can think of any reason why you did not get registered before then do advsie as I may be able to assist further in finding a way for you Thanks Sam