How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4811
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I recently notified HMRC I had increased my pension contributions

This answer was rated:

I recently notified HMRC I had increased my pension contributions from £15 per week to £30 per week. My tax code was adjusted giving me an allowance of £1560 per year but the previous allowance was only £378 (and has been for several years).
Was this allowance too low and if so can I apply for a refund?. I have been unable to find any information on HMRC websites. Thanks Peter.
Hello Peter, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. To whom are you making these contributions, an insurance company?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am at a total loss to understand what you and HMRC are attempting to do. It is normal for pension contributions to be made net and the pension organisation then recovers the tax from HMRC. The 378 appears too low, it should be of the order of 780. You should take this up by writing a letter to your tax office.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Keith, thanks, you have been very helpful.
Delighted to have been of assistance. Thank you for your excellent support.