How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4953
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

Am I liable tax if I give my daughter a block of agriculture

This answer was rated:

Am I liable for any tax if I give my daughter a block of agriculture land?
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. Before I can fully address the position I need to know for what purpose this land is being put too currently.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My daughter has been renting this land from me and has used it for agriculture
Sorry to be so pedantic, what agriculture?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She has been using for sheep
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She rears sheep and sells lamb
Here is Simmons Gainsford Chartered Accountants LLP's advice: 'Capital gains tax hold overAll land which qualifies for inheritance tax agricultural property relief, whether at 100 per cent or 50 per cent, can be given away, for example to the next generation, without liability to capital gains tax being incurred. The gain treated as arising on a gift can be ‘held over’ to the transferee, so that the transferee takes the land at the transferor’s original cost price.' Gifts create a Potentially Exempt Transfer (PET) in the donor's Inheritance tax (IHT) affairs. PETs run off at a taper over seven years and in the event of a decease within that period are added back to the donor's estate for IHT purposes. PETs are the first to suffer IHT and in the event of the deceased estate being insufficient to meet the IHT on the PET the liability cascades down to the beneficiary for immediate payment. Whilst the land may be subject to Agricultural Property Relief this area of tax is so complex that detailed professional advice should be sought on each and every occasion where it is encountered. However, if the donor survives seven years, there is no need to worry and the recipient can always protect their position with a decreasing term life insurance policy. With good fortune everyone should escape tax here. I do hope that my reply has been of assistance.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** to survive for another 7years (God willing)
TRAs do happen! Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.