How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5112
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

I found an errror on my father IHT205 - he died in 2003. I

Customer Question

I found an errror on my father IHT205 - he died in 2003. I missed of some income but the estate in still well within the IHT nil band for that year. I called HMRC and they said as it was covered by the nil rate I did not need to do anything else and that it would all be dealt with on my mothers death. My father died intestae and the main asset was a house which he and my mother jointly owed.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.You have been given good advice by HMRC.As the main asset (the property) is jointly owned, it would be addressed at her death. I would recommend you make a note of the conversation with HMRC, noting name of officer/advisor, date and time of conversation, for your records. I hope this is helpful and answers your question.If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.
Expert: replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, just checking to see if I have addressed your points and/or you need further help/clarification. Many thanks