How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4791
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I am due to get a pension on my 55 birthday in May, the total

Customer Question

I am due to get a pension on my 55 birthday in May, the total amount is £20,190,85. Tax free lump sum £5,047,71.and an open market option of £15,143,14.i have been told that This will be taxed at emergency rate, or higher rate, I'm on ESA so don't pay tax, how do I claim this back.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. The tax treatment of your liberated pension is perfectly normal. There are two ways to claim it back if too much tax has been deducted. The first is by means of a self assessment tax return at the conclusion of the tax year in which the payment was made. You will have to do this anyway in view of the payment received. The second, as you do not pay tax, is to approach your tax office once these deductions have been made with a view to an interim refund of tax deducted. They may tell you that you do not need to self assess anyway which will be another chore which will not be needed. I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.