How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4811
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

My son is British and has worked in Singapore several years. He

This answer was rated:

My son is British and has worked in Singapore several years.
He wants to help his sister who lives and works in the uk buying a house with 200,000 GBP.
Are there any taxes due to him or her in the uk?
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. The UK has no gifts tax regime so such assistance is outside the scope of UK taxation. His sister should warn her UK bank of the incoming finds and their source to preclude any money laundering investigations a large transfer might attract. Gifts do have an effect on the donor's UK Inheritance Tax (IHT) affairs, but only fer seven years and there is a distinct possibility that your son would not be liable to that tax anyway living in the Far East. Singapore has no gifts tax regime either so there is no difficulty that end. I do hope that you find my reply of assistance.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.