How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

Do I genuinely have to pay UK income on my entire year's global

This answer was rated:

Do I genuinely have to pay UK income on my entire year's global self employment income when I was only in the country for 2 weeks? Every time I use a self assessment programme, it seems to say as much.
I spent 15 days in the UK in 2015-2016. 4 of those days were visiting an embassy, 11 were as a resident.
I'm domiciled in another country
I was not born in the UK
I was in the UK from 2011-2015
I was an idiot and kept my bank account in the UK this past year.
Hi. Can you tell me where you live and exactly when you left the UK please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I left the UK on the 16th of April, 2015.
I visited again on the 22 though 28th of January 2016.
I'm a US citizen living in Tirana, Albania.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that should say:
I visited again on the 25 though 28th of January 201
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. Leave this with me while I draft my answer.
Hi. If you qualify for split year treatment for 2015/16, the tax year you left the UK, you will be treated as UK tax resident for 2015/16 but you will only be taxable in the UK on your income between 6 April 2015 and 16 April 2015. Income earned between 17 April 2015 and 5 April 2016 will not be taxable in the UK. Take a look here for a basic guide on split year treatment and here for a flowchart. There is more detail on split year treatment in section 5 here. If you don't qualify for split year treatment for 2015/16, then you will be taxable in the UK only on UK source income for the whole of the 2015/16 tax year as you will be treated as non-UK resident. I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. The automated forms always say I'm eligible for split year, but then they ask for my annual income. Do I just ignore them and enter income just for the days I was there?
Can you tell me what the tax calculation looks like if you select split year treatment? Does it tax all your income for the whole year? If it does, then I would disclose only the income for the short period to the date that you left the UK in April 2015 and UK source income for the period starting the next day and ending on 5 April 2016.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It taxes everything.
IS UK source income limited to UK clients or does it include every time I used my UK bank account for when US and Canadian clients paid?
If you are self-employed, UK source income does not include income from your business clients. It means sources such as UK bank interest, UK dividends and rental income.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got it :) Thanks :)
Thanks. Would you mind rating my answer before you leave the site please.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Done, 5 stars. You just saved me a few thousand.
That's good news.