How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4810
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I am uk resident and domicile and am going to receive a capital

This answer was rated:

I am uk resident and domicile and am going to receive a capital distribution from an offshore trust. Is this taxable on me, my mother is the settlor, she is uk resident and non uk domiciled
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. This constitutes a gift from your mother and as the UK has no gifts tax regime you should receive these moneys free of UK taxation. The situation in the country in which the trust is established and its taxation is outside the scope of this answer. I do hope that you find my answer of assistance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. What information would I receive from the offshore Trust to confirm its capital for UK tax authorities.
There is no requirement for you to advise HMRC of gifts. You should warn your bank of incoming funds and their source, ie a gift from your Mother, to preclude any money laundering inquiries a large transfer might attract. Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.