How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4949
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I have 5 flats on one freehold jointly owned with my wife,I

This answer was rated:

I have 5 flats on one freehold jointly owned with my wife,I would like to put the freehold into a limited company and the flats on there own leases to get better mortgage rates is this possible without paying capital gains tax?
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. The situation reflects the oft quoted Red Queen's remark in Alice Through the Looking Glass of 'Jam yesterday, jam tomorrow, but never jam today!' By transferring property to your limited company Incorporation Relief applies, but this merely postpones any Capital Gains Tax (CGT) until you sell your shares in the company at some future, indeterminate date.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response, once the freehold is transfered to a limited company would putting the flats on there own leases incure taxes?
There is a possible liability to Stamp Duty Land Tax. CGT also rears it's ugly head; with leases this is a highly complex area, but the ACCA have an excellent summary which you can read here: Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.